Friday, April 29, 2011

Leduc Mommy Mingle

I don't know if I've specifically blogged about my Mommy Group, but it's called Leduc Mommy Mingle and I found it on a website called http://www.meetup.com/.  I went to my first "meet up"/playdate in September of last year and it's been a great way to meet other people and stay busy. I've been even busier lately because I signed up to be a co-organizer of the group along with 2 other moms: Shannon & Joanna. We've been the official organizers for about a month now and it's been going really well.

There are perks to being hosted online, all the events get posted on a calendar, they can be set up with attendee limits and people just sign up when they want to go. On average I go to 2-3 playdates a week, when we've been sick it was down to zero, but on crazy weeks we have like five!

As an organizer, our duties include managing & collecting the membership fees ($10/year/member), posting event requests as they come in as well as creating our own, coming up with new ideas, paying the annual fees to the website, moderating discussions, managing sponsers, and other miscellanous admin duties. The three of us will meet monthly to go over our short term & long term goals. For April, we wanted to get everyone up to date on their fees (there was 32/56 people unpaid or late), get people interested in hostsing their own play dates (so that it wasn't the same old same old), and were hoping to plan a Spring Fling for early May. The Spring Fling was a little over ambitious so we'll have to re-evaluate a date for that.

Anyway, I love doing it, as I am not "personally invested" in it in terms of money so I don't have to feel a ton of pressure to make it profitable, instead I just get to bring my creative ideas and make friends. Also, since I am a co-organizer (Joanna is the "head orgainzer"), our workload is spread out and I am hoping to avoid getting burnt out.  It's keeping me busy, utilizing my creativity & business skills without being too much of a committment.

No comments:

Post a Comment