Monday, June 13, 2011

Dexter's Birthday

We are blessed to have many friends & family in our life...the blessing becomes a challenge however, when it comes to Dexter's birthday! I'd love to have everyONE at his birthday but that would create havic and wouldn't be any fun.

Last year I invited what I figured was the bare basics, and we had a huge house full.  So, what I'm pondering, is if it would be ridiculous to have two parties? What I was thinking is having one get together for people with kids, and then one get together for family like the grandparents, adult family friends, etc.  The positives are that I would get to enjoy the company at each party, Dexter would enjoy his party and not be overwhelmed, and I think the like groups would enjoy each other's company.

The negative, is that I would appear greedy or crazy or some other negative descriptors because I want to have two parties. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I am one that is definetly torn with the party thing! Frankly i want to throw the party more for the enjoyment of throwing a party let alone it being for my kid(s) birthdays lol.

    We -kind- of did what you described above this year. We focused on having a party with all of logan's friends (aka: all the 2 year olds plus/minus a year that he knows) plus their families...and then we made a point of getting together with grandma/grandpa Bly on a seperate day (as I don't believe in throwing parties to accomodate everyone else - if you can come you can come, if not - there's always next year). Anyways, it really was like having multiple parties. The one thing I will do in future years to come is I will just have a moms and kids party during the daytime for a couple hours OR I will have a potluck style family bbq party (too much work and money for a kids party otherwise for us).

    BUt really, I like how you said about having a party for 'like groups' - the reason I think our party was so successful this year was because eveyrone was in the same phase - there wasnt single people or child-less couples, or 'older' people (for lack of better phrase lol) there having to make conversation.

    So I say, if you are more comfortable having two parties, do it! Make your guest list and see if it really is too large to have as one, and then just split it up :) I see no harm in that. It's not like your'e doing it for the presents...

    On another note - I always have said that I will just plan one party for Logan because I don't think they need multiple parties...so we have the kiddie -party- and then we go out with the grandparents and/or aunts/uncles that couldn't make it to the party. Does that make sense? I hve noticed that I say things now and then as they come closer I change my opinion on things, which is why we kind of had multiple...events. Yes, events is the word i'm looking for! Logan will only ever get one birthday cake and decorations on one day.. but I don't mind having the home party and then going to the zoo with a different group in celebration of his bday, or going to mcds for playgroup in celebration of..

    Really, do what's best for you :) The topic kind of threw me into a thought pattern lol sorry

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete