Thursday, September 6, 2012

Leftover Rice = Rice Pudding!

Tyler & I really like rice pudding and it's actually super simple to make. If I'm making rice for supper I sometimes make some extra so that we can have this for dessert. I've recently discovered that with the addition of fruit it makes a pretty decent breakfast too. Especially if you use brown rice! Tyler has been doing a gluten free diet for a little over a month, so brown rice has become a staple for us. This pudding is a great alternative for oatmeal lovers.

You need:
Rice
Milk (or cream, rice milk, etc)
Brown Sugar
Cinnamon
Apples (or other fruit)

I put the rice in a pot on the stove, then poured in the milk just to cover the rice. Then I added brown sugar and cinnamon to taste. I like mine pretty sweet so lots of brown sugar! I brought this to a boil, and then put it on simmer, stirring often.

In the meantime, I chopped my apples, with skin, and put them in a microwaveable bowl. I pre-cooked them in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds and then I poured them into the pot on the stove. Continue cooking the whole mixture until its as thick as you like it.

The whole thing took about 15 - 20 minutes and I'll have breakfast for a couple days :-) Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment