Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gymnastics

We signed up Dexter for parent & tot gymnastics from Sept 21 to Dec 7. Originally I was going to take him, but Tyler has been off work so it's turned into Daddy & Dexter time - which i love! Dexter responds to direction from Tyler more and really likes copying him. So far I have been able to have a few quiet mornings at home to sleep in or catch up on stuff. I've also gone to watch a couple times from the sidelines. Once I did the class with Tyler and once with Dexter on my own (which was horrible). It was horrible because I'm not in the best shape to begin with & being prego complicates it more. Also, Dexter was being super hyper: not listening to me, not taking direction and constantly running away from me across the gym (and I move oh so slowly).

My general parenting philosophy is "I'll love you even if you're below average" but I've been so impressed with Dexter's progress! He's not top of his class, but he went from zero skills to doing "star pose" "pencil" & "airplane" on command, being able to hang from the bars, etc. Considering he is the youngest in the group (it's 2-3 and he turned 2 the day before first class), he blends in perfectly. He definitely has some things to work on/through like he tends to watch things entirely before participating and he likes to watch the other kids a lot. And he still runs from Daddy sometimes. But so far it's been a very positive experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment