Saturday, December 3, 2011

Irritable New Dynamics

Tyrone (my brother-in-law) has a new girlfriend, Bobbie. I met her for the first time this summer and have seen her on a few occasions now. She's nice enough but something about her drives me crazy. I find her immature acting, and quite negatively opinionated. Tyrone calls her down a lot and she allows it, which I'm not cool with. Then this weekend and last weekend I've noticed that she interferes with my parenting which drives me bananas. If I am in the room, it is up to me to tell my child when he can and cannot do. If we are at Mary's house then she is qualified to intervene as well, but Tyrone and Bobbie are not welcome to say "Dexter don't touch that" "Finish your supper" or "You have to ask for that".

For a time, Tyrone was getting to a point where he wasn't so condescending and bossy, where I could tolerate him. Well he is right back to where I can't stand him anymore. We were meant to host a Christmas party today with Kyla, Shelley & families but due to the weather they couldn't make it. I decided to invite Mary, Tyrone & Bobbie over as they were all in Edmonton so supper wouldn't go to waste. I found myself being rude in that I could barely hold a conversation with Bobbie and Tyrone nor make eye contact with them because they were so irritating. For Christmas this year we are set up to share a cabin with them for four days! I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it. They've also invited us for New Year's but there is no way I'll be able to tolerate them so soon after...plus that's not how I want to spend my New Year's!!

2 comments:

  1. I agree - certain things are okay for people to 'intervene' with - like if a toddler is getting into something they shouldn't, but even if they are, I would say they just need to let the parent(s) know it's happening and let them deal with it UNLESS you've been given permission or at a point in your relationship that it's okay to talk to kids about them. Otherwise it is NOT their place to say don't finish your supper, etc. Besides, since when is Tyrone into parenting? He's got 2 kids of his own he can parent if he has the desire to do so..

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with annonymous. it's up to the parents and parents only to discipline their own children. if parents are home while they are visitors (Tyronne etc)it is certainly not up to them to intervene. Raising their own kids is a big enough job for them. it's a tough job for any parents raising kids and every parents has different ways of doing it, as long as no abuse, butt out. all you end up doing is confusing the child. stop it now. love you

    ReplyDelete