Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pet Peeve

I frequently talk about how Dexter is such a busy & inquisitive child. From observing other kids in my group, his behavior seem normal, but I still sometimes find it exhausting as I'm more of a passive person and so is Tyler. What irritates me is when people feel the need to say things like "just wait soon you'll have two of them" or "how will you handle two?"

First of all, I am not popping out another toddler. Babies, while needy, are very good at staying on one place & not getting into everything. When baby #2 grows to Dexter's age, Dexter will be older and hopefully past the crazy toddler busy-ness though I'm sure onto other adventures.

Secondly, each child is unique with their own personalities and quirks. While we just may get a Dexter carbon copy, it is more likely that he'll have his own temperament and new challenges to go with it.

Thirdly, I am anxious enough about how our lives are changing again and how I'm going to need to learn, grow and adapt again. I don't need other people's negativity to add to that, especially when it's too late to change our minds! Luckily a few of my friend have had second babies and all appear to be not only surviving but enjoying themselves as well. I remember a time when I had no kids and was completely baffled by how I would add a child to the mix. We did it once successfully!

1 comment:

  1. I totally get how you feel there - because that feeling of annoyance is what I felt when people would on occasion ask me how i was feeling while pregnant and certain pregnancy rlated questions.

    I think the question 'how will you handle two' is a little rude.. and the 'just wait you'll have two of them' is really dependant on who asks and how they ask i think :D Because it can be a positive statement!

    You seem like you are on the right track though - it's a change for sure, but hello! that's pretty obvious right? lol...I know you'll be completely fine with two and i'm excited to meet baby boy nelson the second hehe

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete