Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A pause, not a regression

I have been sick for over a week :-(

Tyler & Dexter had been sick for about 3 weeks before that, off & on, some overlapping. I managed to stave off any sickness. Then, on the night before we were suppose to go to Kyla's for our Christmas Get-Together I didn't get much sleep - about four hours I think? Being just a bit defenseless was the one opportunity the germs needed I think, so they snuck in and invaded me! It started with a sore throat shortly have dinner, then progressed to chills by bedtime. By about halfway through the night I was sweating so crazily that I throw off the many blankets I had sought out only hours earlier. We were staying at Tannis & Bill's and though it was completely unsociable of me, I spent pretty much the whole day in bed. I had gotten up around 2pm, dressed and did my hair. Then promptly went back to bed and slept for many more hours. Around supper time we headed home and I spent the next few days feeling awful.

I actually had a nervous breakdown the Monday night. I couldn't swallow, I had no energy and everything was just overwhelming. I couldn't even attempt to parent Dexter. I begged Tyler to go get me some medicine, and he took about an hour or so to get it (cuz our car wouldn't start on him - another story). During that hour Dexter was his normal self: crawling up on his toy box to try to get stuff off the counter and I thought I was going to faint from the mental exhaustion of telling him no. Anyway, after some NyQuil, Buckley's, and throat numbing stuff, oh and some Advil and many, many hours of sleep...I am starting to feel better. I think it was about Saturday when I stopped feeling "sick". Though I have developed what feels like an ear ache that is almost as annoying as a sore throat. I went to the doctor on Thursday and he assured me that its not an ear infection. Apparently its just pressure from being unable to swallow properly for so long. The pain is basically the same as an infection from what I can remember and when I eat food it feels like it's coming out my ear, and sometimes even feels like a burning sensation. It's gotten better, but still not 100%.

I will be SO thankful when I am back to "normal". We totally take our every day health for granted!  Dexter again has a running nose, and I just hope we don't loop through the sickness all over again. We wash our hands regularly...do you all have any tips on how to keep cold/flu germs away? Maybe more vitamins? Some sort of disinfectant spray for my furnature??

The reason I called this blog "a pause, not a regression" is because although I haven't really been able to work towards my fitness goals over the last 8 days, I have been trying not to regress at the very least. When I do get to eat, I'm trying to make healthier food choices. I've been drinking lots and lots of water thanks to my sore throat and "ear" issue - to the point where I am starting to pee clear. That may sound gross but for those of you who know what I mean...well you'll know what I mean LOL

I've barely had enough energy to stay out of bed half the day, so working out has been out of the question. In fact, last Wednesday I actually did my session via phone instead of going to Red Deer. My sister was here for a few days and I passed up the opportunity to go out for supper because my throat/ear was bugging me and cuz Dexter wasn't 100% either (didn't want to take him with us & didn't want to leave him at home with Auntie). Anyway, I hope to be well sooner than later so I can get a few days working out in before we head to Grimshaw (on Tuesday, 21st I believe).

OUR CAR:

So all GM vehicles (to the best of my knowledge) have this passlock security feature on them that's suppose to help if someone steals your vehicle. However, the only thing it has every done for me is guess me much grievance! The reason being that my car starter and the passlock like to annoy each other and every once in a while (with no warning), my car will not start for a minimum of 15 minutes via key ignition. It has been a problem since I had the car and even the one before it so like 7 years! To the best of my memory, it's only happened in winter time - but yeah you get stranded for at least 15 minutes in a car that won't start. When you time your work commute to the minute this can interfer, as well as when you go to leave somewhere (like the gym, grocery store, or other rather inconvenient places). Luckily, we would rarely have Dexter in the car, however for a fairly reliable vehicle it is such a nuisance to have this issue. We've had it looked at before and the only solution at the time would be to get rid of the car starter or disable the passlock. I would love to just disable the passlock, but apparently that is illegal or against GM policy or some crap. So...my friends with mechanical like husbands, how do I fix this issue without giving up the luxury of a car starter??

1 comment:

  1. Crystal - I am so sad to hear that you've been sooo ill for so long! How sucky is that.. I am glad to hear though you've been maintaining your healthy lifestyle despite your ilness! Good for you.

    Also, your car situation - how frusterating! the passlock, what is that? just the autolock feature? Michael never has to deal with this stuff, so he has no advice for you.. And coming from a girl who has lost her car-starter option in this new van, it would be reeeally annoying not to have that feature anymore!!

    ReplyDelete