Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shopping at Wal-mart on Dec 20

I thought I was finished all my Christmas shopping a few weeks back, but I find that even with a lot of planning, new gifts come up because you forgot or added plans. I have made plans to see two of my Grimshaw friends and their two kids each before Christmas and I realized yesterday that the well-mannered thing to do would be to bring a small gift for their kids.

I thought it would be fun to shop for the four kids: Sophie - 2 1/2 years, her new brother Callum about 2 months old, Kagen - 2 1/2 years & his bro Quinten 2 days younger than Dexter. We're heading to Grimshaw today, so after a bit of prep I went to Walmart at 11:30pm last night to avoid the crowds. I was looking forward to shopping for the kids, but it turns out I was vastly unprepared!

First off, I had a goal budget of $10/kid because we aren't super close so I just wanted a little something for them. It was tough to know what to buy because a)I don't know what they have already & b)I don't know what they are into right now. Plus, I wanted to spend not too much but make it LOOK like I spend a lot, right? Add to that Wal-marts half empty shelves and lack of priced merchandise. I have a lot of experience buying for Kira, my neice but generally I don't go with too much of a budget when I shop for her.

I got trapped in the Wal-mart toy section time warp for about an hour! LOL I kept circling the aisles waiting for something new to pop up. So picture me wandering putting toys in the cart, going to the price chek, going back to the aisles, continually bumping the floor cleaning staff.

I wanted to get 6 month clothes for Callum and that was tough cuz there wasn't a lot of selection & nothing really unique was there. I ended up getting three shirts for $13. Then one sleeper for Dexter with a "Super Monkey" on it.

For Sophie I started thinking of getting her a doll as I had fun shopping for dolls for Savannah, but my back-up choices for Savannah were sold out. I found a doll & faux little pony set for $10 but wondered if they looked cheap. I then considered an actual Little Pony for bathtime $12, but eventually decided on a Disney Fairy barbie for $15. So a little over budget.

The two boy brothers were challenging cuz they are so close in age: 16 months apart. I started with a Little People castle theme (just the people) for $8. Then I decided I wanted that for Dexter as he loves Little People. I could have gotten that for Quin too, no problem but there wasn't a great selection for Kagen to compliment it. I ended up deciding on a mega block type set with a jungle animal them as a dual present for both.

As I write this blog, I am still like "maybe I should have gotten this instead". Its so hard! Oh well, I hope they all enjoy it.

So if you are keeping tally I got 3 gifts for the kids I went for + 2 new gifts for Dexter LOL I also got to see the Lunar eclipse on my way home at about 1am.

I am pretty excited to see Dexter experience his first Christmas morning. Last year he was only 3 months old, plus my family was stuck at the airport so we had a Christmas night instead. Looking forward to my Christmas festivities to start!!!

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you when I read this I could totally picture you wandering back and forth around the isles (maybe cuz i've done it too?) lol.. I hope you have a WONDERFUL Christmas and a great time up in the great north country :)

    ReplyDelete