Monday, March 28, 2011

Toddlers: A Cesspool of Disease

My poor little man is pretty sick. He had a mild cough that I wasn't too concerned about for about a month when my mom watched him in early March.  His cough got pretty bad over the weekend so my mom really wanted me to book an appointment with my doctor. My doctor was not available on short notice so I took an appointment with another doctor that I don't really like (she doesn't inspire confidence in her diagnosis'). The female doctor told me is was likely environmental and prescribed an asthma like inhaler for him as well as telling us some other tips: don't use a humidifier as it can mix up the germs and dust in the room, clean all his clothes & bedding in ultra hot water and two rinse cycles, watch his contact with smokers (my mom and brother both smoke outside only, but the yuckiness still clings).  So after buying a $50 attachment for the inhaler, following her advice and also removing his crib bumpers just in case they were germy I saw minimal improvement. I decided to book an appointment with my regular doctor here in Leduc for a second opinion.

In the meantime, Tyler agreed to an air purifier salesman coming to do a pitch for us. We both liked what we heard but were hesitant over the price, even though the value seemed to be there: 5 year warranty, purifies up to 3000 square feet, air filter replaced and machine serviced annually for no extra charge for 25 years, and multiple uses of technology that made sense.  So after hesitating, the salesman called his boss and got us a better "deal" where we saved $700 and delayed any payment for 6 months (seeing as Tyler was still unemployed on this night). So we opted to try it as we had 10 days risk free. 

The first night we put it in Dexter's room and his coughing went down 95%!  I credit the machine, Tyler thinks it was a coincidence.  So when I got to see my doctor 3 days later I had less concern (though the cough hadn't disappeared entirely). He said any cough that lasts for more than 2 weeks warrants a chest x-ray, so he gave me the rec form and said to use it if the cough didn't improve.

It seemed to be okay until we came back from Tehya's birthday party.  Since then it has been horrible, so this morning we finally took Dexter to the hospital to get the x-ray.  I should find out more this week.  It probably wouldn't be so back if I could give him some cough syrup or something but it's tough when all you can use is Advil/Tylenol.

On top of that, he has had an on again, off again fever that may be related to his 18 month immunizations. Plus as of Wednesday he woke up with pink eye. Tyler took him to the doctor that night and got some eye drops only which have been so much fun to give (dripping with sarcasm). It has been four days and I haven't seen any improvements in his eyes. It looks like he has two black eyes and his eyes are all blood shot.  I tried to take a picture of him today as he looks like a little zombie but he wouldn't behave for the shot. 

With all that is going on with him, Dexter has been pretty cranky and hasn't been sleeping well.  Which means Mommy isn't sleeping well.  Hopefully he'll be on the mend soon.

1 comment:

  1. My first instinct is that I wish I were closer so I could work on him with some Bowen (maybe a Bowen practitioner in the area?)

    The second is that MAN that reeeeally sucks! What a pain.. sick babies are so hard to deal with. We were just talking about that last night that we haven't had one on our hands for months (which is possibly a record lol). Let me know if there's anything I can do from a distance

    ReplyDelete