Saturday, November 13, 2010

What do u do for fun?

In my book I'm reading, The Happiness Project, Gretchen dedicates one of her months to learning how to play/have more fun . One of the obvious steps in this process is determing what is "play" for you. I can easily define reading as a fun activity for myself, but what else?

She poses a question she borrowed "What did u do for fun when u where 10 years old?" That's a really profound question and one I couldn't immediately answer. Reading fiction is probably the only obvious answer I have, as I have enjoyed for as long as I can remember. The rest require some thought. Clipping magazines & making collages was a fun past time in junior high. Participating in, in depth conversations is another but from high school on. What did I do for fun in Grade 5 though? My brain strains under the challenge of having any clear, vivid memories of that specific of a time....so I've facebooked my 5 close friends from that grade (thanks facebook!), to see if they have more insight.

In order to be authentic in having fun, Gretchen also puts the activity to the following test: "I look forward to it; I found it energizing, not draining; and I didn't feel guilty about it later."

I'd love to hear what you did for fun when u were 10, & if u still enjoy this activity now?

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

1 comment:

  1. Well if age 10 was about grade 5/6 I was still in elementary, so I have vivid memories of that age being the transition age of the girls in my class - specifically grade 6 towards the end (in my school grade 7 was the start of junior high). But we would play tag still and skip rope, and pogs were out about that time, and things like that! I also thrived on having 'sleepovers' at that age! Having girls over to play was still very fun and we would play hide and go seek at the acreage we lived on. Also for me when getting together with my cousins and family we would still PLAY games. I think that's around the time give or take a few years that 'childish play' was still acceptable and happened. Once grade 7 hit was when you went from 'play' to 'hanging out'.

    I also really enjoyed crafts and when I was 10 was when my little brother joined our family so if you threw that into the mix at age 10 I became a 'little mother' :) I really took to Matt and he adored me and I felt very motherly and protective to him, still do.

    I could go on and on now.. lol I keep having flashback memories to little things that we did as kids! (like exploring the brush in the one place we lived.. this age was a transition age for moving - in 2 years we moved to 3 different houses in rimbey)

    Anyways! I look forward to hearing your memories as they come flooding back!

    ReplyDelete