Tuesday, January 4, 2011

MY Struggles with "God"

Disclaimer: this blog has to deal with my personal journey & is in no way meant to offend other people's
choices & paths.


The word God makes me uncomfortable. When I hear it or read it I have a physical cringe reaction. To be honest, I am not sure where it originated. That is something I want to explore this year because I have no problem with the words Buddha, Tao, Universe, Source, Mother Nature, Mother Earth...so why just "God"?

I have more recent experiences with so called religious persons who have acted hypocritically, selfishly & greedily: not qualities that govern true religious people in my opinion. But I know that my inner feelings dated way before that, so these cannot be the source of my negative reaction.

I have also had positive experiences, mainly through my friend Kyla who is more in tune with how I believe authentic spiritual people should be.

The reason I want to explore this more, is that I believe everyone has a "spiritual" component they need to fill. It need not be through tradition relgions (in fact, I am fairly opposed to most established religions. They just don't "ring true" for me), but rather through quality time with family & friends, meditation, compassion, acts of kindness & charity, pursuing & acting on your true passions & talents, and the stripping of ego based qualities like greed, materialism, selfishness, judgement, predjuice, etc.

Why am I biased against religion? Well that could fill a book, LOL

In general, I see religion as one of many paths to the same destination. A set of rules meant to help govern us to be better people. I don't choose religion because I want to choose the rules that feel right for me. I don't feel going to church on Sundays (or Satirdays) is the answer. And I don't like how each relgion presents itself as the only "true" option. I also know the history of some religions - like Christianity - and how its role as a major player came to be through fear & bloodshed. I have also experienced many false people who join religions & I don't want to surround myself with them.

Anyway, my point is that I am pursuing a more spiritual pathway this year, and in order to have some real progress I need to identify my "road blockers". Wish me luck!

Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

1 comment:

  1. This one was a struggle to read because I have such opposite views in 'organized religion' as you put it - but regardless our differences I still love you for you and wish you all best as you find your spiritual self! It's a journey that I think everyone needs to take - finding a connection between your body and spirit I think is crucial because then you are truly 'one' with yourself.

    ReplyDelete