Sunday, January 30, 2011

Considering Starting a Dayhome

For the last little while I've been thinking about whether I might be interested in starting my own day home. The seed was originally planted by my new friend Shannon who started one two months ago. She uses an agency (something I didn't know even existed until I heard about it from her).

Setting aside the discussion of whether or not I should do it, I'll first discuss some of he pros & cons of agency vs private. I'm in the very early stages of research right now so this is a pretty superfiscial discussion right now.

Pro: the agency handles the collection of money from the parent(s) for me, so I wouldn't have the hassle or possibility of being ripped off (a valid concern for me the soft hearted & non-assertive person).

Con: since they handle the finances they of course are taking a cut for themselves

Pro: they have families to match u to

Pro: they have some structure to help u along the way... I'm not familiar with all of it yet, but so far I know they have monthly meetings with tips & also seminars.

Pro? There might be an opportunity for sicks days and holidays with others able to cover for u.

Cons: I would be more of an employee than self-employed

Okay, so now for the discussion on whether or not this is really a good idea for me. I first started considering it for the social development side for Dexter. Shannon often speaks of how Lily & Josephine learn off of each other.

The second highest appeal goes of course to the money making side of things. It would be very gratifying to "earn" some of my own money, contribute to he household in a monetary way & not be selling something.

Some unexpected positives that Shannon mentioned to me is that the added accountability to another parent helps here to have more routine/structure in her day & makes her more attentive and involved in her own kid's activities (Shannon's daughter is Josephine, 18 months, and she watches Lily, 14 months).

I think I would want to watch one other boy aged 14 months to 3.5 years. Anything in that age range would be a benefit to have around Dexter (provided he's not a hellion of course).
Shannon says there are more boys waiting for placement as girls tend to be requested more for some reason.

The day home would be a good experiment to see and even help me prep for having more kids ourselves (and idea I have tabled for a while).

The negative is that I would have less flexibility and freedom in my day. I would certainly have to be more prepared and be more on top of my chores & daily tasks. Not necessarily negatives in the long run but definitely a challenge to the status quo.

Also, as a fairly inconsequential point that doesn't affect my decision, is that I would be able to "write off" some things such as toys, groceries purchases for kids, some utilities etc.

Again, as I mentioned at the beginning I'm still in my early research stage, but I thought I'd put it out there for some feedback from my readers (Shelley Kyla Diana - are u out there?).

4 comments:

  1. P.S. I forgot to mention that Tyler thinks it's a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a surprising idea from you! That's great :) I think you'll research it very thoroughly and come to see what you really want to do.

    I have a friend/neighbor here that was with an agency before moving to Cochrane, and will be moving back to her hometown in the summer and will go back through the agency, specifically because she likes those two pros you listed: 1. not having to deal with the parents financially, and 2. not having to advertise and find your own 'clients'.

    I have often considered opening a dayhome, but after my part time babysitting experience (which I LOVED the kids, don't get me wrong) but I am not the type that enjoys my freedom...hindered. I got to a point where I was able to handle and enjoyed the 2 days a week so routine eventually set in! However near the end I was really starting to see the pros of not having anything tying me down. Also it was different then a full time job in an office because I wasn't home I guess.. but being at work at -home- made me feel like 'gee, I really just want to go get some groceries' or 'gee, I really just want to go to visit my mom for a few days' but had to work around a schedule that I couldn't just change (because that would be irresponsible).

    That is my only word of warning I'd give you I guess! Just reeeally weigh the pros and cons in that department. Everything else frankly is great about a day home! You get to stay home and earn money at the same time and have playmates for Dexter (which will fulfill alot of your, what's the word.. worries? completeness? for lack of better word in life.)

    OH! And be sure to research the insurance part of having children other than your own in your vehicle. I'm not sure what is or isn't covered through an agency but I know a friend of mine is running before/after school care and she walks (rain/snow/shine) because it was going to cost a thousand or more dollars a year!

    But those things aside I think you would be wonderful as a dayhome provider :) I would never think twice about leaving Logan with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have some concerns. I LOVE my freedom so that really makes me "itch" and not feel good about the day home idea. I know I would need to take a patience course too as I'm not always great about managing that (I'm sure I'd be better with other people's kids - sad but true). I'm leaning away from the idea also because I don't feel like it really pays that great. I'd hate to committ to doing it and than not want to after a month. Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think starting a dayhome is a goood idea, but you need to take more then one child to make it worth your time & energy.
    I couldn't see it as a long term plan for you, I think you need something more challenging & interesting.
    No having your freedom it a big downside. But you wouldn't have it all the time with a regular job either. But atleast with a regular job you would have vacation & sick days.
    I think you are searching for some kind of job, and having a dayhome might be a good place to start. Would you want to put Dexter in daycare & get a 9-5 job?

    ReplyDelete