Monday, October 18, 2010

My Big One Year Reward...NEW YORK CITY!

I can't remember exactly how I thought it up, but I thought that a fantastic reward for going on this fitness journey for 1 year, would be a trip to New York. I really loved New York the first time but was limited with what I could do there for a variety of reasons, one of them being my fitness level.

Choosing New York as a reward works on a few levels.

One, it's something I really, really want so by saying I can only go if I follow through and be successful with my fitness journey, then that helps me stay motivated to continue to move forward.

Two, the trip itself will cement the idea of being able to enjoy life more if I am in a fit, healthy body.

Three, it gives me something to look forward to outside of the goal of "looking good".

Four, as Tyler pointed out, I wouldn't be able to rationalize going on this trip anytime in the near future, UNLESS it was as a reward for working so hard and focusing on my health.

When I first brought it up, Tyler was adamently against it because he wasn't aware that I was using it as a reward/motivation. He thought I was just planning a trip (which he thought was selfish as both he & Dexter won't be going). Once I pointed out that it is a full year away and that I am NOT allowed to go UNLESS I continue moving forward...he was on board. I guess the next step is to quantify the rules in which I am allowing myself to go there. Something to talk to my coach about at MindBody FX.

So far I have put the idea out there to a few of my friends and family. My mom (& possibly sister), Melody (& possibly her brother), and Vanessa are all tentatively interested. Tyler said that he is definitely not interested. That makes me a bit sad as I would love to share New York with him, but at the same time, if he "knows" he wouldn't like to go, then he would only be bored and grumpy there.

2 comments:

  1. Excited to hear the 'terms' of the deal!! That would be so awesome. I need to think of something like that.. now weight loss wouldn't work for me at this point cuz i'm like less than 10 to goal (took me 3-4 years to get to this point - i should have put something like jamaica on the line years ago!) BUT maybe i'll have to talk to michael and do some goal planning between the two of us (like relationship building) with a just the two of us trip as the reward!

    great idea crystal! I'd come with you guys if NYC wasn't so darn expensive!

    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea Crystal! Looking forward to watching you complete this fitness journey!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete