Monday, October 4, 2010

Sleeping in Crib? - Sept 1/10

Well I wrote a little over a week ago, about my excitement of Dexter sleeping in his own crib. It worked as a great jinx as Dex threw huge tantrums and was unconsolable the next two times I tried to put him in there (both for daytime naps). I caved and let him sleep with us both Monday & Tuesday last week.

After that, I came to the conclusion that I just need to be tough, learn from my mistakes (by not going in the room, period after we put him in the crib), and to just work on the night time sleeping.

It has been working fairly well. Dexter is getting a bit more used to sleeping in the crib as now he doesn’t cry as much. I should specify, that by “as much” I mean as long, though he has increased the intensity of the crying. Tonight, for example though, he cried for about 3 minutes maybe. Then calmed down and soon after fell asleep.

I turn on a lava lamp for him so he has some light, and we have a radio that plays some mellow music and both those things help me feel better about him sleeping in his room.

I’m happy to say that he is officially “sleeping through the night” now. Today he slept in his crib until after 8am, an improvement from 7:15 yesterday and 6:45 the few days before that. Being the night owl that I am, I bring Dex into bed with me in the morning so I can get an extra hour or two of sleep before we officially start the day but all in all I’m happy with our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment