Monday, October 4, 2010

What's my biggest regret? - Apr 29/10

Well that is a really profound question!

My first instinct was to referr to something I did at my high school grad party that I was very embarassed about at the time (and maybe still a little embarassed about). But when I asked myself “if a genie was here at this moment and I could go back in time and change something, would that be it?” The short answer is “no”. The long answer is that although I was very embarassed at the time, it didn’t really have a long term effect on my life right now.

So then I looked at what things in my life now I wish were different & I have two major answers: my body weight/shape & my debt. Both results come not from one major bad decision but a lifetime of poor decisions made repeatedly…and let’s be honest, poor decisions I am continuing to make today. So if I truly regretted these, why am I not making better decisions today?

I have always maintained that I felt that weight & poor spending habits were “symptoms” of a bigger problem: not being happy internally. So over the last three weeks I have been on a “happiness quest” looking for how to learn to be happy on the inside instead of looking for happiness externally (i.e. in buying something, eating something, in someone else, using phrases such as “i’d be happy if…” or “i’ll be happy once…”). I had been mulling over this question and how I wanted to answer it when this morning I was reading about the whole victim mentality and how it doesn’t help you be happy. Part of that is thinking that the past is more impactful than the presence. So in reading that, I’ve concluded that I cannot have regret about that past. In doing that, I am giving the past too much power over my actions today.

Instead of regretting, I need to use that energy towards motivating better decisions and solutions for today. I firmly believe that it is never too late to get what we want and that we personally have the power to make anything & everything happen. For me, I just need to figure out exactly what it is that I want, so that I can go after it

How’s that for honesty? LOL How about you? Care to answer the same question??

No comments:

Post a Comment